The court found that information provided to Plibersek after her initial inquiry, which included a Dreaming story about the blue banded bee, constituted a new application that should have been referred to a government reporter for public consultation. "Consequently, the declaration made by the minister was made without authority," Justice Stellios said.
Crucially, the judgment made no finding on the merits of the Indigenous heritage claim. "The court's decision and my reasons say nothing about the merits of the claim ... whether it's a significant area or under threat of injury or desecration," the judge said. "Those are matters within the authority of the minister, not the jurisdiction of this court."
The declaration, made by Plibersek in 2024, protected 400 hectares of the mine site including an area where Regis Resources planned to build a tailings dam at the headwaters of the Belubula River. The order was granted after an application by Wiradjuri-Gamillaroi woman Nyree Reynolds on behalf of the Wiradyuri Traditional Owners Central West Aboriginal Corporation, arguing the area held significance for a Dreaming story.
Regis Resources argued the order made the project unviable and launched legal action in November 2024. The company said finding an alternative site for the tailings dam would take up to a decade.
The decision has inflamed tensions between the NSW and federal governments. Premier Chris Minns had strongly backed the project, which the state government originally approved in 2023. "I want that mine to go ahead, I understand that that's not the view of the federal government, but we need the investment," Minns said before the judgment. When asked if Plibersek made the wrong call, he replied: "Yes."
Plibersek had previously defended her decision, saying she "could not be assured that the NSW legislative framework as it currently stands can adequately protect the specified area". She maintained the mine could still proceed if the tailings dam were relocated, a claim Regis Resources disputed.
The project will now be sent back to Minister Murray Watt for a fresh decision under the Act.